September 24, 2008

Fighting the Rapids

After a lot of persuasion, my dad finally relented and took us all rafting this holiday. After a long tiring drive, we were completely recharged by the cool balmy breezes and the aroma of freshly cooked fish. My brother and I dashed out as soon as the car stopped and edged towards the river with a curious awe. The white expanse that lay before me, mocked me, as if saying, "You think you can conquer my rapids? What do you know about rafting anyway?".
"Well maybe I don't but my father does" I shouted back defensively, causing my parents to look up and stare.
My reply was met by a crunching sound of water crashing on the jagged rocks.
We changed, put on our life jackets and settled on. It was like a roller coaster ride scary yet exhilarating. The turns were devious, like the work of an idle demon. The water splashed on me; each drop numbingly cold.It was so fast that I clung onto my mother for my dear life. Now that I rationally think about it, it was a foolish move because she herself was clinging onto me in sheer fright. After 10 minutes, we slowed to a halt. My heart was still pumping from the rush of adrenaline as I clambered out. What an experience that was! I went home with my hair messed up, my energy drained and a huge grin glued on my face. I felt as if I truly 'lived' life.

1 comment:

Bina Aisha Shah said...

This is great! I like how you "humanize" the river with some dialogue.